On 12 June 2012, The Tron Church®, also known as St. George's Tron®, seceded as an entire congregation from the denomination called The Church of Scotland. This followed years of prayer and preparation as a result of this denomination's contemplation and then clear choice to allow ministers to be in same sex relationships, in clear rejection of the authority of the Bible.
Regretfully therefore, in order to remain in fellowship with orthodox Christianity worldwide, we had to break fellowship with our denomination despite very significant consequences for our church family. Having invested millions in our Buchanan Street building during the previous few years we tried hard to negotiate to stay in it, but were instructed by the Church of Scotland to vacate the premises. Having no other option, on 9 December 2012 we held our last morning service in Buchanan Street, and in the evening had our first service in our new premises in 25 Bath Street.
For the avoidance of doubt we now have no connection whatsoever with our former building in Buchanan Street, which is operated by the Church of Scotland, nor any events which may take place there as the building is hired out to various bodies.
Happily, though, The Tron's historic ministry has continued uninterrupted in 25 Bath Street and we are greatly encouraged at God's provision as we look to the future. In 2014-2015, we renovated premises in 25-31 Bath Street to make it more suitable for our varied gospel ministries which continue to grow.
The History of our Congregation
As a congregation we trace our history back over the years to our former building in Buchanan Street and before that several other locations and associations. The story of the Tron stretches back to 1687 when a group of Presbyterians, who were determined to have a faithful and biblical witness despite pressure to conform to the pro-episcopal establishment, decided to build The Wynd Church. It was located down nearer the river in the Merchant City area not far from the old Trongate, in a street called Back Wynd, from which the church took its name. Records tell us that Back Wynd was 'a long, narrow, filthy, airless lane, with every available inch of ground on each side occupied by buildings, many of them far gone but packed from cellar to garret with human life.' Not the most pleasant sounding place to be!
As the city of Glasgow grew rapidly after the industrial revolution from a population of 8,000 to one of 75,000, the Town Council decided to build a new place of worship at the then western extremity of the city. So, on the upper stretch of the then newly begun Buchanan Street, St. George's was built in 1808 and became the new meeting place for the congregation from the Wynd Church, which moved there all together. Then, over a century later in 1940, the Tron St. Anne Church united with St. George's forming the newly named Church of Scotland congregation of St. George's-Tron Parish Church. Finally, in December 2012 the congregation again moved together the short walk around to Bath Street where we continue to meet.
Over the centuries, then, this church congregation has remained at the heart of the City of Glasgow, moving its meeting places and relocating for the sake of the gospel on various occasions, but unmoved in its commitment to that biblical gospel. Our prayer is that in future years we shall continue to witness to the Living God made known in Jesus Christ, both in the city centre and throughout Glasgow, as we seek to help nurture and establish gospel ministries in partnership with other churches which honour the truth that is in Jesus.